Wednesday 20 November 2013

Part III: Being Sick in South Korea: Recovery and care at Dankook University Hospital

Visiting hours on Day 2 started at 6:30am. I asked the nurse on duty if Josh's white blood count had gone down - it hadn't. I asked about the swelling of his brain: "It is more swollen" she said. Later in the afternoon, during Professor Kim's visit, I discovered that, once again, details had been lost in translation. The nurse had meant that Josh's brain was more swollen than a normal healthy brain- but, in fact, less swollen than it had been the previous day. 

3 times a day --morning, afternoon, and evening-- an attendant would announce when visiting hours were over and 3 times a day I would disregard the information. Since Josh had a severe aversion to light and sound, he had been put in a private room in the ICU. This meant that I could remain with him, undisturbed by the nurses, until the next visiting hours started. During this 30 minute window, I left to use the washroom and get something to eat and drink. I then returned freely and remained until the next visiting hours. Although this was not the perfect set up, Josh and I were both very thankful that we could be together. We were also very thankful for the compassion with which the ICU nurses treated us. The ICU was very busy and --because I was able to stay with him-- he never needed to wait for food, drink, bathroom assistance, or anything.

I had never spent an extended amount of time in a hospital, let alone unauthorized time in an ICU in a foreign country. Although sneaking around may have been fun under different circumstances, I was plagued by the constant fear of being discovered.

We were very blessed on Wednesday morning when a seemingly random woman came to Josh's room. She informed me that she knew a friend of ours and asked if there was anything she could do to help. I asked her if I could get special permission to come and go out of the ICU as I pleased. This was granted immediately and the ICU guards were given word to let me in and out of the unit regardless of time of day. The constant worry of being told to leave Josh was lifted from my mind. Josh remained in the ICU until Thursday evening - and so did I.

During the ICU days we were showered with love from friends and family. I read to Josh all the encouraging messages that were being sent to us from people from all over the world. There was always someone waiting downstairs at the hospital's coffee shop when I had a free moment to leave. During the nights, I was still keeping and hotel room. My dear friend Lisa acted as a constant support. She stayed with me every night and helped me with everything imaginable.

On Thursday morning, we received the good news that Josh's condition had improved enough that he could be moved to the neurology ward that evening. The timing couldn't have been better because that night Josh's parent's were scheduled to be arriving from Canada. We were surrounded by the support of our friends, family, and the wonderful staff at DKU hospital. Josh continued to grow stronger each day.

My 27th birthday happened to fall during this tumultuous time.
Our friends did not let this day go by without celebration. Despite being in a small hospital room, a birthday party I will never forget took place. I was treated to live birthday music, homemade cake, champagne, gifts, and so much love!

Champagne Birthday at Dankook University Hospital


Happy Birthday serenade
Tears of Joy
  

Friends & Family
SO

MUCH
  
LOVE!!


A healthy Josh: the best gift of all
Although a Korean hospital may not be the most desirable place to spend summer vacation, it was during this time that we were reminded about the value of community, the peace of being able to turn to God in prayer, and the preciousness of life.

4 comments:

  1. We are just another foreigner couple who stumbled upon your blog. Thanks for your writing and for sharing your story. How scary! Glad to hear all is well and wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your well wishes Heather :) We are very glad that all is well now too. I just checked out your blog. It's great. Especially loved the "Downright Magical" post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That was so scary, but you had so much love. It was so moving I cried. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a VERY scary time. I'm thankful every day for the happy ending to our scary story :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete