Tuesday 14 August 2012

Your first day teaching English at a Public High School in South Korea: The Introduction Lesson


so the big day has finally arrived. Many things led up to this day: deciding to come to South Korea, finding a recruiter, filling out a gigantic application, gathering documents, waiting for the interview, waiting for the interview results, applying for the E2 visa, waiting for the visa, getting the visa, booking the flight. And now, you are here and your first day of teaching has arrived. What to do?

You may be a little confused about what the expectations are regarding your first week of teaching. Luckily for me, my first day was very easy: there were no classes. After being introduced to my co-teachers and given a tour of the school and my classroom I was told to go back to my officetel  and “take a rest”. I asked what I should prepare for classes the following day, and I was simply told “Just introduce yourself. Very easy.”

Hmmm. Introducing myself takes 5 minutes (at best). Saying my name, where I'm from and some of my hobbies certainly wouldn't fill the 50 minute time slot for each of my 5 classes. I considered teaching a simple lesson and doing icebreakers until I did a bit of research.

I discovered that introducing yourself in Korean culture is different and, perhaps, a bit more elaborate than a typical Western World introduction. If you want your students to talk to you and feel comfortable around you, you must introduce yourself to them in a way that corresponds to the Korean standard. This means divulging more information than you may consider necessary (such as your age, relationship status, and sometimes religious beliefs).

I am fortunate enough to have a classroom with 2 computers, a projector, access to power-point and the internet. I will outline what I did for my introduction class. This is the lesson I taught to each of my 24 classes during my first week in South Korea. It went over very well with my co-teachers and students. Feel free to use this as a template for your first day.

Slide 1: Welcome to English Class: 
I LOVE English!
This is the slide my students saw when they entered the classroom. I wanted them to feel welcome and create a positive mood in the classroom.

Slide 2: My name is ________.
Your new students may be nervous to meet you and find it difficult to understand you if you speak quickly. However, their reading skills are usually very high. If they can't understand what you are saying they will certainly be able to read this easy introduction. You should tell your students your name and age. By this point, you have, very likely, already been asked your age by your co-teachers. If you don't tell your students how old you are, they will soon ask you. In Korean culture, you must know someone's age in order to know how to address them. This is a very normal question and they do not mean to offend you!

Slide 3-4-5: I am from ____________.
Tell them your home-country, show your country's flag, a map, your home province/state, city/town.

Slide 6-7-8: This is my family.
Show pictures of your parents, siblings, gf/bf, husband/wife. Students want to know about you and your background. Take note: Your co-teachers and students WILL ask about your relationship status. Whether you are single or in a relationship you might as well let them know on your own terms.

When introducing your family you can add language value to your lesson by helping them brush up on vocabulary words: mother, father, sister, brother, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, etc.. When I showed a picture of my grandmother I asked: "Who do you think this is? How old do you think she is?"

Your co-teachers and students may also ask you about your religious beliefs. Be prepared!!
I decided against discussing my religious beliefs in my class. However, many of my co-teachers and students have asked me about my beliefs and I have discussed this with them privately.

***Side Note*** Ultra-personal questions: During my first week of school I was approached by two fellow-teachers. They asked me how much money my husband made. 

Slide 9-10-11: Your hobbies
I like playing music, travelling, eating delicious food, and teaching. I showed them pictures of me doing all of the above. Once again, take this opportunity to interact with your students. I had a picture of me playing the ukulele. I asked them: “What is the name of this instrument?” Most students didn't know. This is a great way to add learning and language value to your introduction lesson. Same thing goes for travelling pictures. I showed my students a picture of me in Paris standing in front of the Eiffel tower. I asked them “Where was this picture taken? What is the name of this tower?"

Slide 12: Getting to know your students
In the last part of my introduction I told my students how excited I was to meet them and have the opportunity to teach them English. Then, I told them it was now their turn to introduce themselves. Make this activity fun and interactive by choosing an out-going student to start the introduction. I told them to say their name and one of their hobbies. Give them an example first (they may be VERY nervous to speak English in front of you and their classmates). Ex: My name is ____ and I love playing the ukulele.
After the first student has introduced herself/himself ask him/her to choose the next person. This keeps the students on their toes and gives them another chance to speak English (they can gesture to the student they wish to be introduced next and say “Please stand up and introduce yourself.”

Depending on the size of your class, you may have time left over once this introduction activity is finished. I prepared a very simple survey for my students to do if there was time left at the end of class. They were asked to simply interview 2 other students and ask them 8 easy questions. Ex: how many brothers do you have, what is your favourite food?


Make sure to instruct them to write full sentences and to be prepared to share their answers with the class once they have completed the survey. While they are doing this activity, it is a great opportunity for you to walk around and interact with your students individually.

By introducing yourself thoroughly you will engage your co-teachers and students. The people at your new school will, very likely, be curious about you and eager for information. Having an interesting, informative, and educational first lesson is a great way to kick-start your school year.


***Side Note*** You may or may not be fortunate enough to have power-point and a projector in your classroom. Packing pictures of your family, travels, and hobbies is a good idea.

For further reading, check out this highly informative and amusing blog: Kimchi Icecream

5 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you so much, this stuff is gold! I am coming to Korea to start teaching in Feb 2014 and now have some good ideas for breaking the ice on the first day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kate E. Glad it was helpful. Best of luck in Korea and if you have any questions about moving here feel free to ask!

      Delete
  2. I'm also moving to Korea this February 2014! Totally nuts as they did an expedite process on my E-2 visa and application, it's been a whirlwind. I have no idea how to teach so this is very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teaching can definitely be a challenge when you first start - I'm glad this post was helpful to you! Good luck with everything as you prepare to come to South Korea - it is a great place to live and work and I hope you will enjoy your time here :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete